SERVICES: TESTING AND CHARACTERIZATION
ResinLab’s laboratory is equipped to characterize polymers and formulations including potting compounds and adhesives. These capabilities support new product development, technical service, and quality assurance. The laboratory team is also available for contract lab services and custom formulation consulting work.
Our Hitachi TM3030 Tabletop Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) with Bruker Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectroscopy (EDX) attachment allows imaging of samples at magnifications from 15X up to 30,000X, and chemical analysis of the sample surface.
This capability can be used for many applications, including
- Surface analysis of coatings
- Fiber impregnation
- Fracture analysis
- Chemical analysis of polymers and composites
- Elemental analysis of impurities down to 0.1 atomic%
- Analysis of dispersion of pigments and fillers
- Image processing to determine dimension of sample features to 500 nm
Our Malvern Gemini 2 Bohlin Rheometer is an advanced measurement tool that can perform standard viscometry measurements as well as polymer formula cure response. It is equipped with a thermoelectric heating and cooling plate which enables isothermal and programmed temperature schedules.
Values that are generated by this instrument include:
- Viscosity at various temperatures
- Gel time
- Creep analysis
Our TA Instruments Q400 Thermomechanical Analyzer (TMA) measures dimensional changes of materials under conditions of controlled temperature, time, and force.
Properties that can be measured include
- Coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)
- Glass transition temperature (Tg), softening, and melting
- Compression modulus
- Flexure by 3-point bend
Our Netzsch 200 F3 Maia Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC) allows for full characterization of polymer formula cure and cured product thermal properties.
- Glass transition temperature (Tg)
- Melting and boiling temperature
- Specific heat (Cp)
- Heat of fusion and vaporization
- Crystallization temperature and energetics
- Degree of cure
- Cure schedule characterization – rate of cure and heat released
Our Netzsch 447 Nanoflash Laser Flash Analyzer (LFA) measures heat transport properties of polymer formulas including liquids, greases, and solids, and multi-layer samples.
- Thermal diffusivity
- Thermal conductivity
- Specific heat (solids only)
We also are equipped to perform UL94 testing, both vertical and horizontal burn methods. *NOTE* UL certifications cannot be provided by ResinLab.
This test provides data that support the pursuit of certification.
Our Nicolet Nexus 470 Attenuated Total Reflection Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer (ATR-FTIR)generates a fingerprint of a sample’s chemical functional groups. It is capable of measuring samples in a variety of forms, and the ATR attachment enables non-destructive analysis of the sample.
Information that this instrument can provide includes
- Surface chemical composition
- Impurity analysis of known substance
- Raw material database for quality assurance
Mechanical Property Characterization
Our MTS QTest/25 Universal Tester measures a wide variety of mechanical properties of a full spectrum of materials including plastics, metals, ceramics, textiles, adhesives, elastomers, foams and more.
Mechanical properties that can be measured include
- Adhesive strength (lap shear, 180° or 90° peel)
- Tensile strength, yield stress, elongation to break, and modulus
- Compressive strength, yield stress, resiliency, and modulus
- Flexural strength, yield stress, and modulus (3-point bend)
We also have Shore Durometers available to measure material hardness.
Electrical Property Characterization
Our Jandel RM3000 Test Unit is a 4-point probe that measures the electrical properties of both thin film and bulk materials, including electrically conductive adhesives.
It can be used for characterization of
- electrical conductivity measurement [1 milliohm-per-square (10^-3) up to 5 x 10^8 ohms-per-square with 0.3% accuracy]
- bulk/volume resistivity measurement [1 milliohm-cm (10^-3) up to 10^6 ohms-cm]